Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Cleaning Up My Act

Let's face it, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to preparing food. I like quick, simple, idiot-proof meals and snacks. Something that doesn't go bad when I forget it's in the fridge for a few days. And stuff that doesn't require going to the grocery store all the time. Or eating lunch that someone else makes for me when my coworkers and I go out. There's a problem with the foods that fit my criteria, they're processed, sodium-laden, water-retaining foods that are totally messing me up.
So I think I need a shift in strategy. Nothing else seems to be working with this plateau. I thought I had it figured out with eating more, but maybe I was eating more of the wrong stuff... So instead of having a granola bar for a snack, what's wrong with apple slices? Or clementines? Or fruit salad? Or carrots? It's all natural, fresh food. Salads for lunch from the cafeteria are great, but Subway or Chick Fil A has enough sodium in it for the entire day! Even if I get the healthiest options, a sandwich from either place has 1000mg+ of sodium! So, I'm thinking I need to start making my lunches, at least a few days a week.
So, I'm gonna brainstorm some ideas for what to eat, since it'll involve changing my habits from what I'm comfortable with, especially ease of finding lunch at work. I sit at my desk all day, but I have access to a microwave, fridge, toaster, and freezer. So I can store and heat up lunches pretty easily. Or save them for a day if I want to eat out with my coworkers once or twice in the week.
Breakfast: I'm liking my english muffin with peanut butter. The PB is all natural (there are like 6 ingredients in it) and quite delicious, with organic muffins from Whole Foods. Perhaps I can add a hard boiled egg or something to this combo (not on the english muffin... haha, ew).  
Lunch: Now here's where it gets tricky. I could make a large enough chicken breast at idinner to heat up the other half for lunch the next day. Same with microwaving some veggies. Or I could make some pasta salad with wheat or veggie pasta and low callorie dressing and make enough for a few meals. Chili is super easy to freeze and heat up at will (I already do this for dinners when I'm short on time). Same with soup (make my own or buy low sodium). Wraps with some chicken breast and hummus or guac. Or the good old sandwich with low calorie bread and low sodium lunchmeat. Looks like I have more options than I realized!
Dinner: This I've gotten down pretty well. I stick to fish fillets or chicken breast with a side of spaghetti squash or zucchini or something tasty like that. I try to avoid carbs when I have dinner after a workout.
Snacks: Here's where I can do a better job with processed food. I need to eat more fruits and veggies as snacks. I bought a big bag of clementines to bring to work, I can buy strawberries, baby carrots apple slices... lots of options! I still have my protein bars for when I want to have fuel for a workout. I like granola bars, but they are pretty carby, so fruits nad veggies are better. And of course, my favorite greek yogurt as my evening snack that I have every night almost.

So, there you have it! It's not as hard or daunting when I lay it out like that. I don't plan on going back to undereating, but if I can get enough CLEAN calories, I think it might really help things. I've been eating too much junk and it's really stalling my progress. And, I need to not go nuts with beer at kickball... haha. That was bad last week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment