Monday, March 7, 2011

Weekday Sara vs. Weekend Sara

Lately I've realized that I've developed two different attitudes depending on what day of the week it is.
Monday through Friday I'm the model student. I work out every day that I can, I eat right, I cook decent food for myself, and in general make pretty good choices. If I have a treat, it's earned through an hour at the gym and a great food diary otherwise. I tend to see the scale go downward, if not stay the same at the bare minimum.
And then there's Saturday and Sunday. I love the weekends, I spend half of it with my boyfriend, sometimes we pick active things to do like hiking or walking around DC. And then we get dinner... and drinks, and the occasional dessert. Usually I can somewhat control myself and order a healthy option from the menu. But the 2 or 3 beers is a staple with our dates.  It seems that no matter what I do, the weekends are impossible for me to keep a handle on things. And it's all my own doing too. Randy doesn't force me to get  beer, or order mac n cheese. It's all me wanting to eat something that tastes good and is unhealthy as opposed to looking for a better option. 
With 10 lbs left to lose, slipping even a little bit every weekend is keeping me at a standstill. But at the same time, do I really want to become a hermit just to lose 10 lbs? There has got to be a way to balance. I'm thinking I need to make sure I work out or at least get moving more on the weekends. Instead of coming home and napping all Sunday afternoon (yep, did that yesterday), I need to get my butt to the gym or walk/run around the lake next to my apartment (if it's not cold/rainy). And when I'm out to dinner with Randy, I need to pick better things off the menu. I managed to order a chicken salad on Saturday night at dinner. Unfortunately that was after having a bagel, a cookie, crab dip with bread, and 3 beers already that day. At least I din't add to the damage by ordering something bad.
So, as much as I love my weekends, I think I'm gonna have to adjust a little bit. If I can reign in my eating and make sure I get at least one workout in, I think it'll really help prevent myself from erasing any progress I made during the week. But I'm not going to go back to being a hermit on the weekends (which I pretty much was before we started dating).  There's only so far I'm willing to go, and it's all about balance. If I can't do this long term, it's never going to stick. I've already proven to myself that I can make better choices. Now I just have to act on it.
And one more promise to myself (if I put it in writing and you all read it, I feel more accountable to hold myself to it)... STOP NIBBLING ON JUNK AT NIGHT! One little chocolate there, a bite of something, a scoop of ice cream, a bit of cookie dough... IT ADDS UP! I wouldn't be surprised if I "nibbled" away 200+ calories in an evening. That's a lot when you shoot for 1400ish. So... I'm stopping it now. No more. If it goes in my mouth, it goes in my food diary! 

No comments:

Post a Comment