Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Hazards of Summer

I really do love summer... time to do lots of different activities, people coming to visit, spending the evenings going out when it's not too hot. But that comes with less time for the gym, more opportunities for eating (and drinking) off my plan, and weekends where I'm out and about. The end result is that I've gained back a few pounds and I'm not pleased.

I managed to survive spring with getting to the gym at least 3 days a week, if not 4. I did my strength training and cardio, plus I didn't do too bad with food. I was able to stay between 156-158 for several months. Now I'm up above 160 and it's been that way for a few weeks. Pretty much all downhill from the 4th of July... and I know I'm completely in control of my destiny (and the scale), but for some reason summer just kills my motivation. It's too hot for the gym, I want a mojito, I want to go out with my boyfriend in the middle of the week. I want to LIVE A LITTLE! I'd be OK with the scale if I knew strength training was still happening 3 times a week, but it hasn't been. 2 has been the usual, some weeks one! This week I caught a nasty cold and it kept me out of the gym Mon-Wed.

And all I keep thinking to myself is excuses, excuses! I am fully capable of making better choices, getting to the gym more, not picking unhealthy food when I go out. I've been doing this for 2 1/2 years, its not rocket science :P

I think I need to reassess a few things. First off is my food. I tend to sabotage myself, especially around the boyfriend. We've gotten much better about cooking healthy dinners together on Sunday night, but I need to be better about what I do Fri-Sun afternoon. We need to be more active too, fall will be great for that when the heat subsides, but even now we can go to the pool or walk around indoors somewhere. When I'm by myself during the week, I'm terrible about nibbling on treats or going overboard on carbs. And I need to get to the gym 4 days a week again. Kickball takes up my Thursday nights, so Mon-Wed and Friday need to be gym days.

And I need to stop making excuses. With the exception of having a cold this week, lately my motivation to get to the gym has been slacking. Doing the easy thing and just eating junk food isn't going to cut it when I know I can do better. And the excuse that it's too hard to try and find healthier alternatives is kind of BS. I finally managed to take a plain chicken breast and make it taste delicious, no pre-bought chicken breast and it's healthier! I will bring my lunch to work every day possible (like today I packed a lunch to go to a coworker's going away lunch at a pizza place). And I will stop having bad snacks in the evening. I should really just throw out the ice cream in the freezer...

I know what to do. I just need to follow through with it! I really would like to lose these couple pounds over the next few weeks. It's not impossible. I know once they start to creep back on it's a slippery slope. I'm nipping it in the butt asap before it's 10 extra lbs. I can deal with 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment